- Index cards
- Presentation app
- Digital paper prototype
- Slide deck
Your team will be designing a single-function “utility” app. Choose from one of the examples below or pick your own!
- Do I need an umbrella today?
- Track spending while on vacation
- Shared shopping lists for couples or roommates
- Order a pizza from nearby
- Remember to drink enough water
- Don’t jump straight to a solution! Explore the problem space in a few user interviews first, paying special attention to contexts of use.
- Don’t be afraid to go where your research leads you. You might be surprised!
- Keep your design ruthlessly focused on a single basic piece of functionality.
Your presentation should answer the following questions:
- What did your research show you?
- What variations on your design did you explore?
- How were your design decisions connected to your research findings?
- How would a user operate your final design?
- What would you do differently next time?
Make sure to share the presentation equally amongst your teammates! (And watch out for smooth handoffs between speakers.)
For this prototype, you’ll stick to sketches on paper, but also take photos of your sketches to create a clickable (tappable) prototype using your choice of digital prototyping tools.